In this article, we will try to collect the information about fintech-related disruptions tied to COVID-19 fears
Globally, there are over 167 thousand confirmed cases of coronavirus, identified as COVID-19, primarily in mainland China, where it originated. Another region where the new disease spreads at speed is Europe, with more than 55 thousand confirmed cases.
In an effort to prevent the spreading of the virus, many countries closed their borders and announced a quarantine. As a result, many events got canceled or postponed.
In this article, PaySpace Magazine Global will try to collect the information about fintech-related disruptions tied to COVID-19 fears. This list is by no means comprehensive, but we will try to keep up with the most significant news and update this article as they are coming.
Fintech events canceled or postponed due to coronavirus outbreak
The number of fintech industry-related events that got canceled or postponed since the outbreak started is huge and constantly growing. Below we’ve listed the biggest ones of an international significance.
- MWC Barcelona 2020, that was due to be held in Barcelona on February 24-27. It is the world’s largest mobile phone showcase, which gathered more than 100 thousand attendees in 2019. The GSMA, which runs the event, said it will be taking place only in 2021.
- UK FinTech Week & IFGS. This year, UK FinTech Week will be held mostly online during the week of April 20-24. Moreover, Innovate Finance has decided to cancel IFGS, scheduled to take place on April 20-21 in London, ‘due to concerns for the health and wellbeing of our staff and delegates given the spread of the COVID-19 Coronavirus’.
- InfoSec Finance Connect 2020, planned for 15-17 March in San Diego, United States, got rescheduled for July 12-14, with the original location remaining.
- Future Digital Finance 2020 will be held on August 3-4, 2020. The location, Hyatt Regency Miami, US, stays unchanged. Originally, the event was scheduled for March 9-10.
- MoneyLIVE Spring 2020 took place as planned, on March 9-11, 2020 in Madrid, Spain. Organizers have arranged some safety measures, like conducting temperature checks on all attendees, no-handshake policy, availability of sanitizing and disinfection materials for public use, and increased cleaning and disinfection of all communal areas at the venue.
- ECOM21 took place as planned, on March 5 in Riga, Latvia. We’ve encountered no information on whether some enhanced safety measures were in place or not.
- FinConf 2020, scheduled for April 23 at the Central Bank of Bosnia & Herzegovina, has been postponed, with a new date yet to be announced.
This decision was made after a thorough review of all factors including various governmental enforcements of restrictions on international travels. We will be in touch with the new date and after re-assessing the situation
- The 12th Global Banking Innovation Forum & Expo will take place in Prague, the Czech Republic, on September 21-22 instead of April 23-24.
- EBAday 2020 got deferred to 25-26 November. Earlier it was planned that the conference will take place in May. The event location remains the same – The World Forum, The Hague, Netherlands.
- Money20/20 Europe, Europe’s biggest fintech event, postponed the show till 22-24 September 2020. It will still take place at the Rai, Amsterdam.
- IMF & World Bank Spring Meetings, planned for April 17-19 in Washington D.C., will be held online this year.
- TNW Conference in Amsterdam, originally scheduled for June 18-19, has been postponed to October 1-2.
- Paris Blockchain Week Summit will take place on December 9-10 instead of March 31-April 1.
The article to be updated…