Here’s everything you need to know to start using Flipkart
If you’re up for online shopping in India, you have definitely heard about Flipkart. In 2017 the company also launched a global program to allow its retailers to sell to customers globally in partnership with eBay. It didn’t work out, yet the plans for global sales may still come true for this prosperous startup, especially since its current partnership with Walmart.
Flipkart may not be a new service (it has operated since 2007) but it still provides great cashback on most of its categories and huge discounts.
Loyal customers can be enrolled to Flipkart Plus, the annual membership program to receive exclusive benefits and rewards. Some of them are:
- free delivery on a wide range of products;
- early access to sale products prior to the general sell-out time;
- Plus coins earned by shopping can be spent on special offers;
- priority customer support helpline;
- the members can get subscriptions, vouchers, and gift cards of partner companies such as BookMyShow, MakeMyTrip, Zomato, Hotstar, Cafe Coffee Day, and more either for free or with a great discount.
It offers flexible payment options:
- Flipkart No Cost EMI – a monthly installment-based payment program enabled by Bajaj Finserv Card. Equated Monthly Installments (EMI) come without the additional burden of processing fees, down-payments and monthly interest. The loan term ranges from 3 to 12 months. Based on the term of payment and cost of the product, an agreed amount is deducted every month. It is available for a select set of pricey Brands and Products including Apple, LG, Vu, Panasonic, and InFocus.
- Debit Card EMI – the scheme works in partnership with the top banks in India. It provides credit accessibility to a selected group of customers who are pre-approved by the bank partners and don’t own a credit card. To find out whether you’re eligible for the service, send an SMS with DCEMI to 57575 and find out your status. The terms and interest on the offer depend on the partnering bank.
- Flipkart Pay Later – available to loyal customers. If you are one of the eligible customers, you will find that you have access to a shopping limit and this payment option when you shop from select sellers on Flipkart. You can order the product without spending extra time on the checkout process, receive the product, try it out and then make the cashless one-click payment. By default, the payment due date is the 10th of the next month. The sum needs to be paid in full, it’s not an installment program. You’ll get an instant refund if you cancel your order or return a product.
- Cash-on-Delivery – though you order online, there’s no reason to give up a purchase if your debit/credit card balance runs low. You can always pay with cash at the time of the product delivery.
- Flipkart Assured Buyback Guarantee – if you decide to buy a new smartphone, Flipkart provides an assurance to purchase your current smartphone at a pre-fixed amount. The discounted rate is available for your new smartphone only if its price exceeds the cost of your current device. You’ll get an extra discount using Phone health-check with exchange, if the phone health is good.
The quality is assured by Flipkart Assured – an inclusive customer-focused program. Customers are guaranteed high quality and faster delivery on all products bearing the “Flipkart Assured” badge. This badge identifies high-quality products from the best platform’s sellers that have passed six rigorous quality checks. In addition, Flipkart Assured products at a certain price point are shipped free of charge.
The “Flipkart Global” program aims to promote the “Billion” brand of original products manufactured in India, catering them to non-resident Indians as well as the fans of Indian culture. Some of the key products are saris, jewelry, handicrafts, and accessories.
How to use Flipkart
- Create an account. Click on a “Signup” and enter your mobile number. In a while, you will receive an OTP (One time password) for user validation. Enter it with your mobile number and password and then click on the “Sign Up” button.
- Browse the available categories to choose the products you’d like to buy:
•Mobile Phones & accessories
•Laptops, Computer Accessories & Tablets
•Games & Gaming Console
•Home & Kitchen Appliances
•Women’s & Men’s footwear & clothing
•Sports, gym & fitness products
•Travel, luggage & handbags
•Personal care appliances
•Home & Furniture
- You can narrow down your search using filters like price, color, style, pattern, or brand to find your desired product. You can type the name of the product in the search field as well.
- Check ratings and reviews given by other customers along with seller ratings, price and description of the product while buying the product. You may look at real-life product images shared by our certified buyers before making a purchase.
- You can choose mobile and television products with the help of the “compare” feature.
- If a product is available for an EMI or flexible payment scheme, you’ll see this information next to the item’s description. Click it to see which bank cards are supported and to check the available loan conditions.
- The product page also informs customers about the replacement policies, terms of delivery, etc.
- Once you have selected your purchase, click on the “Buy now” button and proceed to the check-out. Enter the delivery address and your personal data. You’ll be offered to verify the order details one more time before proceeding to the payment section.
- You can add valid credit or debit cards to the account, choose net banking, UPI enabled PhonePe wallet, EMI or cash-on-delivery options, as well as add a gift card.
- If you install the Flipkart app, you can track your orders, get notifications on personalized offers, price drops, order status, exclusive launches, and upcoming sale events.
About the service
Flipkart was founded in October 2007 by Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal who left their jobs at Amazon and decided to start a venture of their own. Its headquarters are in Bengaluru. It serves 100 million registered users and more than a million sellers on its e-commerce platform. The company set up warehouses in 21 states to improve the supply chain system.
Flipkart has received funds worth more than $ 4.5 billion, with the biggest funding in July 2014 worth $ 1 billion and in April 2017 worth $ 1.4 billion.
As of March 2017, Flipkart held a 39.5% market share of India’s e-commerce industry. Its biggest rival is Amazon. In August 2018, Walmart acquired a 77% controlling stake in Flipkart.