Nearly a quarter of e-commerce in Europe is cross-border

The online cross-border market in Europe represented a turnover of 95 billion euros in 2018

Nearly a quarter of e-commerce in Europe is cross-border. Source: shutterstock.com

The online cross-border market in Europe represented a turnover of 95 billion euros in 2018. This corresponds to a cross-border share of total online sales in Europe of 22.8%. Within these countries, 36 billion euros is generated by the top 500 cross-border e-commerce companies, Ecommerce News reports.

These are the main conclusions from the first edition of the Top 500 Cross-Border Retail Europe research by Cross-Border Commerce Europe. With the study, the organization wanted to measure the performance of cross-border retailers that are headquartered in Europe.

A note with regards to the study: when the researchers talk about ‘Europe’, they mostly talk about countries within Western Europe and Scandinavia, called EU16.

Last year, cross-border e-commerce revenue in Europe (including travel) was worth 137 billion euros. This is an increase of 13.2% compared to the situation one year before. The cross-border share of total e-commerce in Europe is 22.8%.

When travel isn’t included, cross-border e-commerce still accounts for 95 billion euros, with 55% of it generated by EU retailers and the remaining 45% coming from retailers that are located outside the European Union.

Within the EU16, 36 billion euros are generated by the 500 biggest cross-border retailers that are located in Europe. A quarter of this money comes from online marketplaces, while 40% is generated by pure players.  When we look at retailers from outside the EU, 80% of cross-border sales are generated through online marketplaces. Amazon is leading with 32 billion euros in sales.

SEE ALSO: How to return a purchase

facebook