Gartner research identifies 25 must-know emerging technologies designed to help enterprise architecture and technology innovation leaders
The new 2022 Gartner Hype Cycle research reveals emerging technologies across three key areas that will greatly impact business and society over the next 2-10 years and assist CIOs and IT leaders in achieving digital transformation.
As technology innovation leaders concentrate on expanding immersive experiences, accelerating AI automation and optimizing technologist delivery, they must understand that only a few emerging technologies are likely to reach mainstream adoption in as little as two years, whereas many of them will take 10 years or more to gain popularity.
Expanding immersive experiences
The study lists the following trends as critical technologies in the space:
- Decentralised identity – where an entity (typically human users) controls its own identity by leveraging decentralized technologies along with digital wallets
- Digital humans – interactive AI presentation of humans
- Internal talent marketplaces
- Non-fungible tokens (NFTs)
Accelerated artificial intelligence automation
Gartner expects causal AI, foundation models, generative design AI and machine learning code generation to become transformational for organisations in the next five to ten years.
Optimizing technologist delivery
These technologies focus on building a digital business: product, service or solution builder communities (like fusion teams) and the platforms they use:
- Augmented FinOps
- Cloud sustainability
- Computational storage (CS)
- Cybersecurity mesh architecture (CSMA)
- Data observability
- Dynamic risk governance (DRG)
- Industry cloud platforms that leverage underlying SaaS, platform as a service (PaaS) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS) cloud services
- Minimum viable architecture (MVA)
- Observability-driven development (ODD)
- Platform engineering