In the age when remote work becomes increasingly common, document and data storage protection comes to the foreground. Secure cloud storage is a key element of a digital workspace and a prerequisite of successful teamwork when it comes to hybrid workforce.
While the pandemic lockdowns of 2020 posed challenges for full-time office workers forced to work remotely, in 2024, 83% of the global workforce considers hybrid work mode an ideal variant. Moreover, 16% of global businesses are fully remote.
At the same time, remote work environments present a number of risks. Employees access data from various locations and devices with different levels of security. They often deal with confidential business information and intellectual property which need to be thoroughly protected from unauthorized access and data loss. Therefore, it is vital to maintain secure data storage practices in order to build trust with clients, partners, and all the stakeholders.
Benefits of Secure Cloud Storage
Secure data storage is a fundamental component of any remote and hybrid work infrastructure. It provides the necessary protection for sensitive information, ensures compliance with regulations, and mitigates the risks associated with cyber threats and data breaches. Businesses that utilize secure cloud storages reap the benefits of:
- data privacy and compliance – secure data storage helps businesses comply with data protection regulations, such as GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) or HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act);
- protection against cyberthreats – secure data storage systems employ encryption, access controls, and other security measures to safeguard data from unauthorized access or malicious activities;
- confidentiality and protection of intellectual property – secure data storage prevents unauthorized individuals or entities from gaining access to sensitive data;
- data integrity – secure storage solutions prevent unauthorized modifications or tampering, ensuring that the information remains accurate, reliable, and not altered without proper permissions;
- business stability – even in case of unforeseen events such as natural disasters or cyberattacks, remote workers can securely access critical data in a cloud storage, ensuring that essential business operations continue seamlessly;
- data backups – secure data storage includes regular backups to prevent the permanent loss of valuable information due to device failures, accidental deletions, etc.;
- effective teamwork – secure data storage allows remote team members to share and access information securely, ensuring that collaborative efforts are efficient and not hindered by security concerns;
- shareholder trust – breaches of sensitive information that can lead to reputational damage and legal consequences, impacting the shareholder trust, can be avoided with secure cloud data storage.
What Is Encrypted Cloud Storage?
Storage encryption technologies use one or more cryptographic keys to encrypt and decrypt the data they protect.
Cloud encryption is a data security tool that turns plain text data into an unreadable encrypted mix of symbols. It helps keep information in or between cloud environments secure and uncompromised.
At present, encrypted cloud storage is one of the most effective ways to maintain data privacy and protect cloud data against cyberattacks. Only users with required credentials can access, view, edit, or share specific data in a secure cloud storage.
How Individuals and Businesses Can Use Secure Cloud Storage
There are plenty of ready-made secure cloud storage solutions available on the market. Their features may range from the few basic ones to advanced next-gen security options.
Innovative secure cloud storage, like the one offered by Tresorit, enables remote teams to secure both internal and external communication, exchanging files with clients, partners and teams using encrypted links instead of risky email attachments.
Besides regular backups of the encrypted storage data, secure cloud storage offers remote workers enhanced mobility, keeping information private even when you work on the go via mobile phone.
Businesses can manage secure cloud storage users, policies and file sharing activities in a centralized and seamless way via Tresorit’s governance hub for admins. The authorized person can control access to every folder with granular user permissions.
Encrypted folders with need-to-know access to sensitive files and data enable team leaders and members to manage their workflows more efficiently.
You can easily prevent vital data loss by backing up existing folder structure or selected subfolders with end-to-end encryption in just a few clicks.
At the same time, files are synced automatically, so your teams and partners are always working on the latest version.
If an employee’s device is lost or stolen, a secure storage admin can always protect the data by requiring multi-factor authentication, wiping files remotely, or unlinking devices altogether.
To regularly monitor suspicious activities, detailed access logs and link activity reports provide all the information required.
Don’t Miss Out on Opportunities Brought by Secure Cloud Storage
Companies that choose not to use secure cloud storage may fail to benefit from various opportunities that can enhance their overall efficiency, productivity, and competitiveness.
Secure cloud storage often employs a customizable pricing model, allowing companies to scale their storage needs and security features based on demand. This can lead to significant cost savings compared to traditional on-premises storage solutions, which require upfront investments in hardware and maintenance.
Besides, storage flexibility is crucial for dynamic businesses experiencing growth or fluctuations in data storage requirements.
Unlike widely-adopted traditional online file storage solutions, advanced secure cloud storage architecture, i.e. developed by Tresorit, offers ease of use and flexibility for users and admins alike.
Cloud storage enables remote access to data, enabling companies to embrace remote work and employ distributed teams. It facilitates collaboration with real-time document editing, encrypted file sharing and version control.
Reputable cloud storage providers invest heavily in security measures, including encryption, access controls, and threat detection. They also typically offer robust backup and disaster recovery solutions, reducing the risk of data loss or theft.
Finally, outsourcing storage management to a secure cloud provider allows businesses to focus on their core mission rather than investing time and resources in managing on-premise infrastructure, seeking for technology upgrades and innovation, or making sure their on-premise storage solution complies with the changing landscape of specific regulatory requirements regarding data storage and protection.
All things considered, the use of secure cloud storage that leverages modern cloud encryption technology greatly enhances the remote collaboration in distributed teams. While users enjoy the ease of use, secure real-time data access and editing, and encrypted safe links shared via popular email services, the storage admins get advanced control over user authorization, policies and file sharing activities.
Businesses that choose secure encrypted cloud storage solutions benefit from inherent security, compliance, constant upgrades and regular backups. That enables business owners to maintain high levels of customer and partner trust, protect operations from cyberattacks, data loss and discontinuation, organize remote work environments in a cost-efficient way, and focus on their core business activities.