Here’s how to become one of Klarna’s loyal customers
Klarna, one of Europe’s largest fintechs, the leading payment service provider and a shopping platform, is swiftly reaching consumer milestones with its flexible payment solutions and next-generation super app.
You need to be at least 18 in order to use Klarna’s payment options.
Applicants also need to have a good credit score. Depending on the type of purchase you wish to make with Klarna, there may be a soft check of your credit history or a thorough review of your financial circumstances, including an affordability assessment, and a full credit search. The latter applies to Financing accounts (long-term credit plans with repayment terms ranging between 6-36 months).
If you still have balances on unpaid purchases, it would be beneficial to pay them off before using Klarna to increase your chance of approval.
The longer you have been a Klarna customer, the higher spending limit you may get. History of positive behaviour as a Klarna customer can improve your chances of being approved for another purchase.
Opening an account
- Download the app. It’s free to use.
- Select the country of residence.
- Tap ‘Create account’.
- Enter your email.
- Confirm and continue.
- You’ll receive a verification code at your email address. Copy it to the next pop-up window.
- Enter your phone number. You’ll receive another verification code to link the phone number to your Klarna account.
- Fill in the personal application data (your official first and last name, address, etc).
- The next steps may be performed after you’ve done the browsing and added items to the shopping cart. Alternatively, you may start with the full application process before shopping.
- Then comes identity verification. You can use your Passport, Driver’s Licence and/or Medicare card. Some additional data like middle name will be required too.
- If given the option, you may connect your bank account with Klarna. This may be necessary for an informed credit decision. This option is only presented when the company can’t get enough credit history information from other sources. In other cases, linking a debit/credit card as a payment method will be applicable.
- After you have signed up, choose a suitable authentication method to log in in the future (Face ID, Pin or Fingerprint).
- Start shopping and choose a preferable Klarna payment method (financing, pay now, pay in 30 days, pay in 3 or 4 installments).
- If you have not signed up before starting the shopping process, you will be required to do that while completing your purchase in the Klarna app. You can submit the same application during the checkout process.
Your application decision with Klarna is immediate. However, some of your shopping activities may be rejected. Attempting too many purchases in a short length of time may trigger fraud prevention measures, and your purchase won’t be approved. The approval decision includes a soft credit score check, but it also takes into account multiple internal data points such as past payment history.
Each purchase is a new decision, so one rejection does not mean your future purchases will always be declined, and it doesn’t negatively impact your credit score. Sometimes, it’s enough to simply remove some items from the shopping cart and try to make a smaller purchase.
Klarna’s new super app is unique in a way that it allows you to access all online stores in a single destination. Moreover, flexible payment options are available to you with the help of a One-time card. This virtual single-use card can be used for shopping at any online store.
How to create a One-time card:
- Choose Pay with Klarna when you shop in the app or create a new One-time card from the My Klarna Home tab.
- Each time you create a One-time card, you receive a unique card number you can use at the store’s checkout, like any regular credit card.
- Each One-time card has a specific payment plan which you can manage and pay off in My Klarna menu.
- The created card will be connected to your personal debit or credit card, according to the payment option you chose, for you to make regular installments.
- The card can be used just once, and, if unused, it expires after 24 hours.
- Set the spending amount, including shipping, that you plan to use on your purchase. After entering the amount, you will receive an overview of the agreement as confirmation.
- When you’re ready to check out, your address details will be prefilled based on your registration information or previous purchases. If this information is not available, you will enter your billing and shipping addresses manually.
- When you are ready to pay, select the credit card option and enter the One-time card information you received: the card number, expiration date, and CVV code.
- If you end up spending less than the requested amount on your One-time card, you can change the spending amount yourself by selecting ‘Refund unused amount’ on the purchase page. Otherwise, the amount will automatically be adjusted after 14 days.