Lloyds Bank Home Insurance is reminding revelers to look after their personal belongings
With the summer festival season now in full swing, Lloyds Bank Home Insurance is reminding revelers to look after their personal belongings and make sure they have the right level of cover in place.
Last year Lloyds Bank Home Insurance received 1,814 claims for accidental loss of belongings outside the home, and 1,247 claims for theft of belongings outside the home. Loss claims were 18% higher and theft claims 12% higher in the summer months versus the winter months in 2018.
The company is offering top tips to festival-goers to stay safe this summer:
- Go retro: consider taking an old pay-as-you-go mobile instead of your smartphone. The battery will last longer, and will be less costly if lost or stolen.
- Back it up: if you do have to take a smartphone, make sure it is insured and backed up, especially for irreplaceable things like photos.
- Cash withdrawal: only take as much cash as you need and keep it close to you in an inside pocket or bum-bag to avoid it getting stolen.
- Tag it: mark up your belongings with your name and postcode. Some festivals also provide UV pens for tagging valuables.
- Snap it: take pictures of your valuables and store them on a device that you’ll be leaving at home. Immediately report anything lost or stolen to the police and ask for a crime reference number as your insurer will require this if you need to claim.
- Hide it: Avoid taking any unnecessary valuables with you, and don’t leave them unattended in empty tents and cars. Store valuable belongings in the bottom of your sleeping bag when going to sleep.
- Lock it: some festivals offer on-site lockers for a small cost, which are worth using even if you have to spend a few pounds.
- Cover it: Before heading out, make sure you have the right level of cover in place for personal belongings outside of the home and have your insurer’s number to hand – should the worst happen.