GlobalData predicts сard payments in Malaysia to reach $80 billion by 2025

Due to oronacrisis, the demand for contactless and online payments will fuel the growth of the payment card market over the next few years


GlobalData predicts сard payments in Malaysia to reach $80 billion by 2025. Source:

Malaysia’s card payment market will reach $80.2 billion in 2025, GlobalData reports. In fact, the cost of card payments in Malaysia has decreased by 4.9% in 2020.

Restrictions on isolation and social distancing to contain the spread of the virus have led to cuts in consumer spending and the closure of brick-and-mortar stores, affecting card payments.

However, as economic conditions improve and the vaccination program accelerates, card payments are expected to grow 8.5% in 2021. Moreover, GlobalData predicts that the cost of card payments will grow at a CAGR of 11.1% through 2025.

Malaysia made significant progress in the adoption of card payments in the past few years supported by increasing banked population, rising consumer awareness of electronic payments, and increasing merchant acceptance. While the market was affected due to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, it is expected to rebound as consumers shift from cash to non-cash payments to avoid getting infected
Ravi Sharma, Lead Banking & Payments Analyst at GlobalData

Credit and debit cards are the most preferred type of card for payments in Malaysia, primarily because of the bonuses offered on these cards. They account for 66.5% of all card payments by value in 2021, while debit cards account for the remaining 33.5%.

In spite of an overall decline in the number of card payments, the debit card performed a 13.6% increase in 2020 due to the migration of cash transactions to debit cards and the growing preference for debit cards for contactless payments, as most debit cards in the country have contactless functionality.

We’ve reported that Monzo enters into partnership to offer free shares for subscribers.


Pay Space

6798 Posts 0 Comments

Our editorial team delivers daily news and insights on the global payment industry, covering fintech innovations, worldwide payment methods, and modern payment options.